From our Chair, Susanna Way
I would like to make a special request for anyone who might like to get involved a little bit more with one of our Green initiatives. As with so many ‘volunteer led’ organisations we have lots of ideas but not enough people to put in the hours required to deliver all that we would like.
Please consider whether any of these might be of interest to you or whether you have specific skills, knowledge or experience that you might be able to bring to the party.
- Green Energy – Do you have experience of working in this sector, or just a passion and desire to be involved in delivering something significant in Crowborough – something that will really make a difference. Our Energy and Transport group seeks new members and inputs from potential alternative energy projects (either domestic or for buildings with roofs that have the potential for largish solar panel arrays), from local people with experience of solar panels, heat pumps or wind generators and from owners of electric vehicles. The group is also looking for people who would like to become domestic energy advisers (training offered).
- Business – Are you a local business that might wish to actively change something about the way you operate to become more sustainable? Maybe you have an area that is suitable for rewilding? Or perhaps someone who could be interested in advising local businesses on how to become more sustainable.
- Sport – Many of our local clubs are already involved – would your Club like to join them?
- Schools – Teachers, pupils, parents and governors can all contribute to making local schools great champions in our community of our campaign against climate change. Would you like to help make the difference?
- Maybe you have an idea BIG or SMALL that will make a difference – why not share it on our Sustainable Living in Crowborough (SLIC) Facebook page.
- Food and Horticulture – would you like to become a part of the Community Orchard team or perhaps you are, or know of, a locally sourced food producer? We are looking for our Food Heroes – are you one?
- Our Community Pantry – run by a fantastic team of dedicated volunteers, could always do with more helpers as this grows and becomes more and more well used.
- Crowborough Wildlife – is building a network of local residents who are interested in nature, wildlife and conservation – they meet on Sunday mornings from 10-12 at various local nature reserves to carry out practical conservation tasks, and occasionally run other activities as well such as nature walks. Does this interest you?
- Marketing and Communications – we would love to get our message out there to more people … could we be more effective in our messaging or in delivery of it?
If any of the above prompts you to wonder how you can make a difference by getting more involved, please email firstname.lastname@example.org detailing where your interests and passions lie – and we will put you in touch with the relevant group.
Alternatively, if you have not already become a member, use the membership section on the website to show your support and/or indicate where you would like to become more active.